PERKS-Partnerships for Emotionally Resilient Kids
A free service to licensed or regulated early care and education programs in Allegany, Carroll, Frederick, Garrett and Washington Counties and the families they serve.
A child’s social, emotional and cognitive skills are highly interconnected and are all necessary for school readiness.Unfortunately, many of Maryland’s young children ages 0 to 5 are not developing the emotional and social skills they will need to be successful in school and in life, and statistics show that many children are being involuntarily expelled from child care situations because of challenging behaviors. Resiliency research stresses the importance of a child’s relationship with caring, committed adult. Parents and child care providers play a critically important role in the lives of young children.
PERKS helps children, ages birth through five years old, with social, emotional or behavioral issues by:
- Increasing child care provider and parent skills to deal with difficult behaviors
- Developing partnerships between parents and early educators
- Teaching children social and emotional skills
- Offering technical assistance in person, by phone, or e-mail, as needed
- Making appropriate referrals to outside resources
To learn more about Partnership for Emotionally Resilient Kids (PERKS), please contact us at 301-662-4549. Partnership for Emotionally Resilient Kids (PERKS) is a service provided by Child Care Choices and funded by the Maryland State Department of Education.